Hypertension and Kidney Failure

Hypertension or high blood pressure runs in our family. Several of my relatives either died of a heart attack or stroke caused by hypertension that’s been left untreated. I had hypertension as early as my high school days, although I am completely unaware of it. It was just brought up to my attention six years ago, when I was first diagnosed with chronic kidney failure. It was both shocking and unbelievable for me at that time. Being a 26 year-old, it’s quite hard to accept at first that I am already suffering from chronic ailments and would probably face medication and treatment for the rest of my life. But there it was, already out in the open.

hypertension

The kidneys play a key role in keeping a person’s blood pressure in a healthy range, and blood pressure, in turn, can affect the health of the kidneys. High blood pressure, also called hypertension, can damage the kidneys and lead to chronic kidney disease (CKD).

— Source NIDDK/NKUDIC

This might seem both alarming and outrageous, but it’s true, and it’s a fact. And I just don’t say it from research or reading journals about it, but I’m saying it from experience. Had I known myself to be inflicted with hypertension, I would have done steps to prevent it from helping destroy my kidneys. My doctor said that besides CGN or Chronic Glomerulonephritis, hypertension became one of the contributing factors that lead to kidney failure. But I was young then, and thought myself impervious to such diseases and conditions. Well, I was wrong, and paid dearly for it.

I am still suffering from hypertension up to this day simply because it’s closely associated with kidney failure. Although I am a lot wiser now than before and medications help me maintain my blood pressure at acceptable levels, I still make it a point to implement ways to keep my hypertension at bay.

• I avoid salty and sodium-rich foods as often as I can. Salt makes you more thirsty and if you drink too much water, you might experience fluid overload that will increase your blood pressure.
  • I try to stay cool and avoid staying under the sun too much for the same reason that this would make you want to drink more.
  • Avoid fatty and deep fried foods, as well as those that are high in cholesterol. Not only will it trigger your blood pressure to rise significantly but will also put you at risk with stroke and heart attack.
  • Consult with your doctor on a regular basis and always take your medications for hypertension. Skipping them would desensitize your body to the drug and would cause dangerous spikes in your blood pressure.

It’s hard enough coping with kidney failure and dialysis alone, and even harder to manage different complications that comes along with it. But with sensible management, eager determination, and abundant amount of faith, things could go as normal as it can be for patients like me.

Be wise. Well-informed is well-prepared.

Post Author: jtsantos

a blogger and a freelance graphics artist undergoing dialysis treatment since 2003. An enthusiastic person by nature, loves blogging, cooking, research, tinkering around, and gunpla scale modelling

13 thoughts on “Hypertension and Kidney Failure

• a

(June 25, 2014 - 7:52 pm)

Asking questions are genuinely pleasant thing if you are not understanding something
    fully, however this piece of writing offers good
    understanding even.
    a´s last blog post ..a

• kidney infection cure

(January 9, 2014 - 3:35 pm)

You can certainly see your expertise in the article you write.
    The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe.
    All the time follow your heart.
    kidney infection cure´s last blog post ..kidney infection cure

• Vanessa

(May 2, 2011 - 10:58 am)

I find this blog post very interesting. I am an RN who is currently in school to obtain my bachelors degree. For the class that I am currently in, I have decided to write about preventable diseases. I have been able to visit a dialysis center and speak with some of the patients there. There were patients there that day that were in kidney failure due to diabetes and hypertension, however there was one woman who stood out to me. She was in kidney failure due to an overuse of medications. I found her story very interesting and helpful for my career, just as I find yours. I will remember these stories when teaching my patients the importance of prevention.

• Homemade beer

(April 25, 2011 - 11:20 pm)

Good advices to avoid hypertension. That will surely help some people – or at least give them tips to avoid this condition!

• dentist upland

(December 6, 2010 - 12:25 pm)

I really think early detection is the key treating any disease, especially CKD! Genetics play such a major roll in our health, knowing your risks could save your life.

dentist upland´s last blog post ..Dental Care Insurance You Can Afford

• Lubel

(July 29, 2010 - 11:09 am)

This will surely look like an advertisement but why shouldn’t I share something I know will help hypertensive people? I’m a distributor of Tianshi Phils., the branch of Tiens in the Philippines. It has several gadgets following the principles of acupuncture and the most salable (sells like hotcake) is the comb gadget for hypertension, which only shows that there are a lot of hypertensive people. Here’s the URL of my blog post that has more details about it:

Lubel´s last blog post ..Fighting a fever without medicines

• Julius Santos

(July 29, 2010 - 2:17 pm)

Oh it’s okay. I’m sure my readers would welcome some more information other than those that I post here at DP.

• Cynthia

(December 15, 2009 - 10:41 pm)

An FDA advisory panel just recommended that the warning for Covidien’s Optimark and GE’s Omnisca—drugs in the family of medications known as gadolinium-based contrast agents (DBCAs)—be updated to restrict their use in patients with severe kidney disease because of the potential for an increased risk of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis (NSF). NSF causes thickening of the skin and organs. GBCAs carry a strong “black box” warning. This site has good information on this issue: http://www.gadolinium-mri.com/index.html??

• paulo ronquillo

(October 27, 2009 - 12:51 am)

im also a victim and coping with this huge problem. will stem cell advancement and treatments will help us. thanks and hold on.

• Roger Smith

(September 25, 2009 - 9:42 am)

Hello I am the Webmaster of All kidney News.

We provide new on topics such as chronic kidney disease, kidney stones and dialysis. All articles are evidence based and written for patients.

Please drop us a link from your blog roll if you like the content and think it would contribute to the education of your visitors

• […] even for years, up until a point where significant damage has already been done. Such as it was in my case, where I neglected and took it for granted, in spite of being aware of its past devastation on our […]

• AHaN

(May 28, 2009 - 6:52 pm)

Hi nice blog and be strong!

• julius santos

(May 28, 2009 - 9:31 pm)

Thanks! The rigors of the treatment is hard indeed, but I’m happy to say I am strong and I am coping.